Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Is telling someone "You're a F" an okay marketing strategy?

You are a F

Those words were scrawled in what looked like red crayon across the top of a business size envelope addressed to my son. There was no return address or any other print.

I was stunned. I thought, Man, he sure has ticked someone off.

I held the letter up to the light and saw that red scrawl across the top of the letter. Curious, I opened the envelope (I obtained permission) and found a continuation of the note on the letter:

ew moments away... from discovering your new career.

Turns out it was a letter from a nearby aviation institute stating: You are a Few moments away from discovering your new career.

Initially I thought, How low can they get? What a crude and rude advertising ploy.

On the other hand, I'm somewhat impressed. The wording definitely aroused my interest and made me want to open that envelope immediately. How often can you say that about other mail except checks? And maybe I had my head in the gutter with my first thoughts that the "F" stood for profanity.

What do you think? Is this type of advertising appropriate for a vocational school appealing primarily to young males?

Post your thoughts here, or if you're a Linkedin member, feel free to answer here:

http://www.linkedin.com/answers/marketing-sales/advertising-promotion/direct-marketing/MAR_ADP_DMA/279568-13935827?goback=%2Eait%2Eahp

No comments: